It’s been a while since I’ve done a Five I’ve Tried and I am not happy about it. I have a TON of products I want to share about so expect another one of these very soon. This is my favorite series because when I find something I love, I feel the need to shout it from the roof tops. My friends know that I will talk your ear off about a great new product, so this is you all getting the same treatment.
Admittedly these posts are mostly the best of the best that I’ve tried recently – I try to stay away from being a hater but if there’s something you’ve been wanting to try – let me know. If I haven’t tried it, I’ll do my best to give it a go. And if I have, I’ll give you my truthful experience. Trust me, there is plenty of stuff out there that I’ve tried and hated. No really, I recently tested out a “refreshing” face moisturizer, similar to the Neutrogena Hydroboost which I love, that smelled and felt like applying Windex gel to your face. Clearly that one is not making it to the blog.
These five on the other hand, are some of the best of the best. So get ready to check them out.
- Mary Kay ‘True Dimensions Sheer Lipstick’ in Posh Pink: Admittedly, I am a lipstick junkie. I buy them like candy at the drugstore but I am really bad at sticking with a lipstick. Usually I’ll apply it at the beginning of the day or right before a night out and then never reapplying. That’s usually because I pick a bold color that is super hard to reapply on the fly. That is not the case with this Mary Kay sheer lipstick.
This shade looks like your lip color only better. It’s feels moisturizing, not dry and is just the right shade of pink. Subtle but not plain. It’s like you, only better. It’s the perfect day to day lipstick and I’ve had it in my bag since snagging it at The Blog Societies conference (more on that this week). I find myself reaching to reapply multiple times throughout the day since it’s like a pretty, fancy lip balm.
Will I buy it again? Yes, although I feel like it’s a modern miracle if I make it to the bottom of a lipstick before losing track of it.
- It Cosmetics ‘Bye Bye Makeup Melting Balm‘: Okay this stuff is the deal. If you’re like me, you hate taking off make-up. I’m a big fan of Micellar Water but even when I use that, it doesn’t feel like I get everything. Plus there is a lot of pulling/dragging on your face with a cotton pad or washcloth. Not the case with this stuff. It seriously melts the makeup off your face.
It’s a balm so it’s a little thicker but not greasy. You apply it to a full face of make up, let it sit for a minute or so and then you use a wash cloth or cotton pad to just wipe it away. It comes off SO easy and it gets all of your make up off, including your mascara. No really, ALL of your mascara. I have a really hard time getting all my mascara off, even when I think I’ve gotten it all, I wake up the next morning with residue. When I’ve used this, it’s all gone. Not a smudge in sight in the mornings. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. Still not convinced, watch this clip. You’ll want to give it a go.
Will I buy it again? DEFINITELY
- Marc Jacobs ‘Air Blush Soft Glow Duo’ in Lush and Libido: Blush is a hard product to review since the colors that work for people are so different across the board. So while I love this color, I’m going to talk more about the consistency and finish.
I really love this blush because of the mix of colors. You can blend them with your brush to get a mix or go with one color or the other. Personally, I like the combined look which is softer and subtle. Similar to the Mary Kay lipstick, it gives you the look of yourself but a little enhanced. A clean pop of color that looks like your cheeks are slightly flushed, nothing harsh. I also like how it goes on lightly so you can build the color. Just a quick swipe for a weekend morning but a little more for a night out. It’s a little pricey but well worth it. I’ve been using it for almost a month now and the pallet still looks brand new.
Grade: B+ (only because of the higher price tag, if it was under $30 – I’d give it an A)
Will I buy again? Maybe. The price is a little higher than I like to spend.
- a. + b. Maybelline Master Contour Stick and Master Strobe Highlighting Stick: I received these products a couple weeks ago from Maybelline and wasn’t sure initially, if I would like them. The stick looked a little chunky and I was unsure of the color. You guys, consider me convinced. It’s like contouring for dummies.
I’ve watched the YouTube videos and simply cannot master the perfect contour but this duo stick makes it about as easy as possible to pick the right colors while applying incredibly easily. I don’t use this daily but have bene reaching for it every time I go out or want to look a little more done up. I use the darker color on the hollows of my cheek, around my jaw line, on the sides of my nose and on my temples. I blend it in with the lighter color on the bridge of my nose, cheekbones and a little on my brow bone. It blends so smoothly and looks great but not in the overdone Kardashian way. I suggest checking it out in store so you get the color just right.
I finish it off with the highlighter stick which is the best. It’s a stick but it doesn’t have that thick consistency. It’s like a light dusting of powder without all the brush work. It looks shimmery on the stick but it goes on much more matte. It’s great.
I didn’t include a picture of the primer here but it is also awesome and is way better than much pricer versions I’ve tried. It’s full coverage without feeling heavy or sticky. Good good stuff. I highly recommend this line especially since it is inexpensive and can be found at your local drugstore.
Will I buy again? Yes, for sure.
- Lancome Cils Booster XL Renovation Mascara Primer – Do you want your lashes to look exponentially longer without having to do really anything? Buy this.
No really, every time I put this on I’m amazed at how long my lashes look. I literally stare at myself and think ‘Are those really my lashes?’ I love NeuLash but I’ve been slacking on reordering it. This stuff makes me reconsider buying it every time I apply. Also, I think you look like a character from The Hunger Games after applying it, so that’s fun.
Really though, I don’t have much to say because there’s not much more to explain. It does exactly what it says it will and it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Done and done.
Will I buy again? Oh yeah, ordering a new tube now.