Hey Party People! So I know it’s been a while and yes, here I am AGAIN saying I’ve been behind on the blog. Same old same old. I know, I know I know. But tomorrow, I have a little life catch-up post all ready to go. Then it’s time to jump into the holidays since I know I have to get my life together and get it together to provide at least a little help with your holiday shopping.
Today though, I’m continuing my partnership with America’s Best Racing and sharing something I think will make us all a little excited for next year’s Derby season. Speaking of that, I checked the “How Many Days Until Derby” site and it’s clocking in 165 days which seems longer since I’ve seen a few Derby-style posts on Instagram and got asked yesterday to help someone pick out a Derby look. At first I was amazed at the pre-planning but then found out it’s for a Derby-themed wedding event which I was fully behind. We need more Derby-themed parties in all of our lives.
Anyways, let’s cut to the chase. ABR is doing their annual Fan Choice Awards. Basically it’s like a People’s Choice Awards for horse racing so you can pick your favorites in a bunch of different categories from horse race to jockey to trainer to my personal favorite, best racetrack style. And it’s not just the horses, you can vote on your favorite cocktail, race track food, analyst and place to bet.
It’s a chance for you so share all your favorites and support your track. Even better than just picking your faves is that when you vote, you’ll be automatically entered in a contest where one lucky winner and a guest will earn a VIP trip to the 2020 Breeders’ Cup World Championships, including a chance to place a $10,000 win bet on the Classic thanks to Keeneland Select.
And don’t forget, next year’s Breeders’ Cup is being held right down 64 at Keeneland, so if you’re the big winner you’ll get to place that crazy bet with all your friends, family and hopefully, me around. We went at Churchill Downs in 2018 and it was so fun that I’m already planning our trip to Lexington for next year’s event.
Only one catch, participants must vote in a minimum of one category to be eligible for the contest. Voting ends tomorrow though, so you’ll need to head over to their site ASAP to pick all your favorites. And in case you’re interested (probably not but whatever, it’s my blog so I do what I want), I shared my ballot below.
America’s Best Racing Fan Choice Awards
My 2019 Favorites
- Best Race: Kentucky Derby 145 – Obviously.
- Best Jockey: Flavien Prat
- Best Trainer: Bob Baffert – I’m a sucker for a signature look and Baffert’s sunglasses are always on point.
- Best Racetrack for Bettors: Keeneland
- Best Racing Fashion Event: Kentucky Oaks at Churchill Downs – I just feel like Oaks fashion is always on point whereas Derby can get a little costume-y sometimes.
- Best Racetrack Food: Burgoo at Keeneland – No contest.
- Best Racetrack Cocktail: Mint Julep – Was hard to pick over the Lily but the classic won out.
- Best Analyst: Donna Brothers – Donna always knows what’s up.
- Best Horse: Maximum Security