Okay so this is probably not the first time you’re seeing Jaclyn around here. Her handiwork made this year’s Derby Dress of the Day series much brighter, colorful and more beautiful. She’s also helped on this series and her work has been featured here too. But there’s more to Jaclyn than just an assortment of amazingly arranged bouquets – although those are pretty great.
Jaclyn is a multi-talented Louisville Creative whose work extends into event design and styling. She’s been instrumental on many of the Original Makers Club events and has worked events from big to more intimate. She’s also funny, sincere and has a contagious laugh. I love seeing her whenever I pop into the studio she shares with Whitney Neal so I thought she’d be the perfect person to kick off this series with.
Check out her picks from favorite spot to grab a drink to her favorite collaborators and a little of everything in between.
* Name: Jaclyn Journey
* Business Name: Jaclyn Journey Event & Floral Design
* Official Title: Designer/Stylist
* How did you get started in your field? I was working in visual merchandising -styling spaces and designing windows when the recession hit and as you can imagine, retail was a tough field to be in at that time. While I liked my job, I knew I needed to be doing something different.
A good friend of mine had gotten the bug to start planning weddings so I followed her and I jumped in head first. I had no experience in weddings or florals so everything I learned was self taught, which I am really grateful for! I have made LOTS of mistakes, but I learned everything in my own way. Eventually full planning and design turned into just florals and now as time has gone on, I seem to be heading back to doing full planning and florals on the side.
* What inspires you? Awe struck moments that leave you without words. Grand spaces that make you feel small.
* Describe yourself in three words: Cohesive, Thoughtful, Personal
* One thing about you that might surprise people: I may have fair skin and freckles, but I am 100% Arab – half Lebanese and half Syrian.
* Why Louisville? So many people end up leaving Louisville, what helped keep you in the 502?: Born and raised. My family’s here and this is home 🙂
* Favorite Louisville Neighborhood: Anchorage – I always feel like I am on vacation when I go out there!
* Favorite Spot for a Drink: Garage Bar for a Basil Gimlet (and sweet corn pizza…)
* Favorite Lunch Spot: Wiltshire on Market! Half of The Green, Green Salad and White bean hummus sandwich OR the new Radish Toast. So fresh and delicious!
* Favorite Dinner Spot: My parent’s house! OR Dragon King’s Daughter for a Salad Flatbread OR Zad for tabouli and lamb kabobs.
* You’ve got to try (or go to) : Con Huevos
* Favorite Festival: Taste of St. Michael. Ethnic food, music, and dancing (you may even catch me on stage!)
* Favorite Pizza Spot: Bearno’s. It’s down the street from our house so we go at least once a week.
* Someone is visiting from out of town and only has time to go to three places, where do you send them? Quill’s, 21c Museum Hotel & Holy Grale
* Favorite local collaborators: Whitney Neal & Abby Ott (duh, we share a studio!)
Elva Fields for her amazing jewelry and Dress & Dwell for all their goodies! I recently did some floral styling with Blue Ocean Traders which was so fun!
* Favorite past project: I did a wedding in Nashville last spring for a bride who has turned into a great friend and flower assistant! Her wedding was one of my favorites- it was so family focused and personal (and it made it in Martha Stewart Weddings!)
* It’s up to you to design your perfect Louisville event, what do you do? For myself or for someone else? For myself in an ideal world we would have had a small wedding on my family’s farm- lit just by candlelight. (My mom would have nixed this idea immediately- “it’s too hard to clean up!”)
For someone else, I LOVE the idea of wedding receptions in restaurants. I recently did one at 610 Magnolia and it was so lovely and intimate!
* Three flowers you couldn’t live without? Geranium leaves, oriental poppies, bowl of cream peonies (SO big and fluffy!!)
* What’s next for you… On the personal side of things I’m heading to Europe in September for a couple weeks! Very much looking forward to that!
On the work side of things – I’m hoping to scale back some and only take on about ten events per year. Already booking for 2016 and it’s going to be a really fun, beautiful year with some great collaborations!
On the dream life side of things- one day I’d love to be a set decorator or work in props. This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone who knows me….shopping is quite a passion of mine 🙂
Interested in booking Jaclyn for your dream event? Head over here.
1 – 2, 10 – 11 Whitney Neal | 3 and 5 Josh Meredith
4 Ryan Ray | 6 – 8 Rylee Hitchner | 9 Tec Petaja
+ view comments