Just like last week’s feature, Katie is not brand new around these parts. I first met Katie (or Katherine as she’s more formally known professionally) when preparing for a holiday gift guide. I fell in love with her fresh color pallet, the apparent ease of all her work its fun spirit. After meeting Katie, it was easy to see how her art work is a reflection of her own bright, bubbly personality that immediately makes you feel at ease.
I knew she would be a perfect fit for this feature and that you all would fall in love with her work (if you haven’t already seen it since she’s graced Style Me Pretty, Glitter Guide and more). Katie is an amazing artist and does beautiful custom work if you’re interested in a show stopping piece. But even if you’re not in the market for something to hang on the walls, she has a great selection of products – from iPhone cases to clutches – that allow you to carry a piece of her art wherever you go. Even better, we’re teaming up on Instagram to give away two $100 gift cards to her shop. So pick out what you want and head over here to enter.
* Name: Katie Ferriell Jury
* Company: Katherine Jury
* Official Title: Artist & Designer
* How did you get started in your field? I’ve always loved creating… My earliest memories involve a paintbrush, a box of crayons or a handful of pencils. Throughout my childhood, my appreciation for art continued to grow as my family really nurtured and encouraged my creativity.
After graduating from college and heading to graduate school with the intentions of being a curator, I found that the biggest part of me – my desire to create – was being neglected. The decision that followed wasn’t easy but was certainly inevitable… I rerouted, opened my own business and found myself back to where I started… with lots of paintbrushes, pencils and canvas in hand!
* What inspires you? Nature, travel, romance, art, architecture, music, literature… All the good stuff!
* Describe your work in three words: Organic, loose and vibrant
* One thing about you that might surprise people: Aside from studying art history/painting, I have a degree in International Relations. In another lifetime, maybe I’d be sporting a suit and heels instead of paint-splattered jeans and bare feet!
* Why Louisville? So many people end up leaving Louisville, what helped keep you in the 502?: The more I travel, the more I realize that Louisville is an incredibly special place. Louisville maintains its charming, inviting and down-to-earth culture amidst bustling city life in a really graceful way. In addition to boasting tons of great coffee shops, local restaurants, parks and a growing creative community, Louisville feels like home – a welcoming southern town full of the best people.
* Favorite Louisville Neighborhood: The Highlands
* Favorite Spot for a Drink: If you haven’t had a sangria margarita at Havana Rumba, you’re missing out!
* Favorite Lunch Spot: Wiltshire Pantry off of Baxter might just be my favorite, but it’s always fun to grab a late breakfast/early lunch at the Douglass Loop Farmers Market.
* Favorite Dinner Spot: Outdoor dining at Ramiro’s and The Silver Dollar are hard to beat.
* You’ve got to try (or go to): Cherokee Park! Its beautiful hills, bridges, creeks, fountains and open fields make it the perfect location for a lazy (or not so lazy) Saturday.
* Favorite Festival: St. James Court Art Show is wonderful! Hundreds of talented artists and makers from all over the world exhibit at St. James each year.
* Favorite Pizza Spot: Tyler and I are working on perfecting the art of pizza making, so I might have to say at home! If, however, we’re out for the night, BoomBozz is our go-to spot.
* If someone is visiting from out of town and only has time to go to three places, where do you send them? Nulu/Market St., Bardstown Rd. and Cherokee Park
* You’ve received a ton of press, what was one that really made you pinch yourself? Each little mention here and there has been really encouraging, although I’m feeling pretty special right now. Thanks so much for interviewing me!
* Favorite product you’ve made/designed: I’ve been really pleased with the abstract throw pillows! It’s fun to create artwork that people can use in their everyday life… pieces that help make a house a home.
* Favorite piece: Summer Guava, 24×36
* If you could only paint in one color the rest of your life, what would it be? Hmm… Maybe light greenish-blue.
* Dream Collaboration? If Anthropologie came knocking, I’d be thrilled. I love the creativity the company inspires in its customers.
If I had to pick a specific designer, without hesitation, I would say Valentino. Now that’s really dreaming!
* What’s next for you… I’d love to curate shows for local artists in non-traditional spaces around the city and host several fun pop-up shops/studio workshops throughout the year.
Images of Katie by Aubrey Renee Photography