So I definitely don’t do a ton of food posts on here (try to leave that to the more culinary-inclined bloggers) but every once in a while, in the wealth of deliciousness on Pinterest, I find something that hits the perfect mix of super easy and seriously tasty (see: Susie’s Chocolate Chip cookies). These Mixed Berry Yogurt Muffins (found via Julia’s blog) are just that. I know some people think muffins are kind of grainy and boring (maybe if they are of the bran variety) but these tasted more like yummy, light berry cupcakes and I’m pretty sure they took me all of 15 minutes to prepare (minus baking time). They turned out so well and so tasty that I couldn’t bring myself to share them with anyone outside of our kitchen.
The secret, I’m pretty sure, is the greek yogurt. In Julia’s recipe she used Chobani but I went with my go-to Faje. I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I also ended up using frozen berries – blueberries & raspberries – instead of fresh ones because that’s what I had around the house. I’m sure you could sub in strawberries or go straight blueberry if you preferred.
p.s. – Please pardon the janky phone pics. I haven’t been able to find my camera battery charger (which reminds me that I need to go order one right now).
I’ve included one of Julia’s beautious photos below for you to gawk at but I wanted to include a couple of mine so you could see how gooey/delicious they turn out.
Image via Julia’s Album
Julia’s Mixed Berry Yogurt Muffins
(tips from yours truly in the parenthesis)
Total time: 60 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt (I used 0% plain Faje)
- 2 cups mixed berries (I went with frozen blueberries & raspberries)
- 2 tablespoons flour (for berries)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I used a tiny bit more because I love cinnamon)
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
Use one regular size muffin pan (12 muffins)
Makes 12-14 regular size muffins
Make Yo Muffins:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin cups with muffin liners.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together flour, white sugar, salt, and baking powder.
3) In a separate large bowl, add vegetable oil, 2 eggs, and Greek yogurt and whisk to combine.
4) Add flour mixture from step 2 to the liquid mixture in step 3 and mix just enough to combine.
5) In a separate medium size bowl (the one you used in step 2), combine berries with 2 tablespoons of flour. This is supposed to prevent berries from clumping together and sinking (SUCH A GOOD TIP!) Fold in the berries into the batter from step 4.
To make the topping:
Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter in a small bowl. Mix until you have crumb-like mixture.
6) Fill muffin cups with the muffin batter about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the streusel topping over muffins. Bake for about 20 minutes in the oven.