Okay so I’m not living life like a video but I’m definitely trying to stay Forever Young. Most days I don’t feel a day over 24, but then I realize how old a song is (wait it’s from high school and it’s 12 years old – WOOF) or how long ago things actually were and it’s back to reality. Or I spend 20 minutes with our intern. Talk about reality check.
So when Olay asked me to put together a post on how to stay looking and feeling youthful, I thought about what I do to stay young. I have been known to partake in the occasional night of too much fun ( * cough * Halloween * cough), but otherwise I try to do a good job of taking care of myself. Eating well (most of the time), working out (as much as possible) and taking care of my skin (all. the. time). See it may be hard to make it to the gym or the grocery store but I make a stop at my sink every morning and night to keep up with my skin care regimen. So when Olay gave me a sample of their new Regenerist Luminous Facial Oil, I jumped at the chance to add it to my daily routine.
Last year I gave Argan Oil a try and loved it. The cleanser didn’t seem to get the gunk off my face though and the onslaught of pregnancy acne made me abandon anything with oil in it. I must say that my skin was looking great while I was using it. Now that I’ve been using the Olay for a little while, I can tell that it’s definitely helping my skin. First off, this winter weather dries my skin out big time and the Luminous Oil is perfect for adding a punch of moisture without adding any of the greasy feel you’d expect from an oil. Second, I’ve noticed that my skin is looking more even. I’m not quite glowing from the inside out quite yet but check back with me in a couple weeks!
As much as I wish one product was the magical answer to the quest to stay looking and feeling young, there’s a lot more to it. Lord knows I don’t have all the answers (if you do, send them my way!) but there are a few things I keep in mind when trying to look and feel my best.
* Fill in your eyebrows. Is that a weird way to start? Sorry but honestly, it’s my biggest beauty tip. Sometimes I’ll forget to fill in my brows and every time I catch a glimpse of myself, I notice that something is off. They say your brows are the gateway to you face – so you gotta maintain those puppies. I’m not saying you have to wax/pluck/thread them every five seconds but keep ‘em groomed and fill in any blank spaces. Definite game changer.
* Drink all the water. Whenever I don’t drink enough water, I start to break out. I have a hard time trying to remember to drink a ton of water but I’ve found that whenever I add a straw to my glass or water bottle, I end up drinking the full glass. Now I keep straws at home all the time (I use the excuse that they are for D3) and throw them in my glass whenever I hit the tap.
* Add spinach to your smoothie. I’ll admit it, I was SLOW to the green juice train. Honestly the thought of spinach in my delicious smoothie made me turn up my nose, but then my mom got me a Ninja Bullet as a present after I had Reese. I was really trying to focus on being healthy (still am but when you’ve got 60 lbs to lose, you’re laser focused) so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to give the spinach in my smoothie thing a try. Pick the right combination of fruits and you can’t even taste it. If it wasn’t bright green, you’d have no idea.
Better than the added nutritional benefits, the green smoothie routine tricks me into being healthy the whole day. I figure if I start out on the right foot, I’m messing it all up if I go for an over-indulgent lunch.
* Get up. Seems so simple but if you’re like me and sit at a desk all day, it’s something you gotta remember to do. I try and hop up to ask co-workers questions (usually get a better answer in person than via email) or just do a little lap around the office when I need to clear my head. I’ve also been known to send something to the main printer so I’m forced to get out of my office. When it’s not freezing outside, I try to grab someone for a quick walk outside. I usually pick a client and then use them as the topic of conversation for the walk. Gets me up to date on the details, helps us brainstorm and gets my butt moving.
* Use a facial brush. Getting back to that skin routine with this one. Last year I started using a facial brush to wash my face and it’s made all the difference. I tend to only use it at night to get all the gunk off my face and get my skin squeaky clean before putting on my night-time routine of products. Such a good item to add to your Christmas list if you don’t have one.
* Sleep. They are not joking when they say you need eight hours of sleep at night. Nothing helps me feel better than a good night’s sleep. Lately I’ve tried getting into bed a little earlier and turning off the TV sooner so I can really get some good Zzzz’s. Not only does it help make my skin (and those under eye circles) look better, but I always feel so much better and more focused after a solid night of sleep. I know you’ve got a full DVR, but just binge watch on the weekends and hit the hay a little earlier.
Olay is a worldwide leader in skin care and has been trusted by women for over 60 years, maintaining its founding philosophy: to maintain a deep understanding of women’s changing needs and to combine products that fit their needs with the latest advances in skin care technology. Regenerist was created along those lines to address women’s anti-aging needs, and millions of women have tried it and loved it, making Regenerist the #1 anti-aging moisturizer.*
*Based on Nielsen data week ending 2/1/14.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by P&G via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of P&G.